Principal of Shakenovsky & Associates
Migration Agent Registration Number (MARN) 0004606
The 1970s and 1980s
- 1976 Served 16 months in the South African Police Force in lieu of compulsory military training
- 1980 Completed his law degree at the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
- 1982 Admitted as an attorney of the Supreme Court of South Africa after serving 2 years of Articles of Clerkship at Salomon Friedman Attorneys, Johannesburg
- 1984 Established his own successful Law practice in Johannesburg’s CBD
- 1987 Successfully sat the Israeli bar exam
- 1991 Completed his Diploma in Human Rights at the Rand Afrikaans University
- 1996 Immigrated to Australia with his wife and 3 children
- 1996 Employed by McCabe Brown Lawyers for 18 months before re-qualifying and practicing for own account
- 1997 Qualified as a migration agent through the University of New South Wales
- 1999 Re-qualified as an Australia lawyer through LPAB at The University of Sydney and re-admitted in the Supreme Court of NSW
- 2000 Became a partner of Greenstein Shakenovsky Lawyers, a successful legal practice in Sydney’s CBD with a like-minded team of qualified staff who go beyond what is expected to satisfy clients’ requirements
- 2003 Appointed as the Australian Director of Retalix Australia Pty Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Retalix Ltd (Israel) and provider of point-of-sale software to Woolworths, Coles, Big W, Priceline, Metcash, BP and more
- 2008 Established Shakenovsky & Associates, specialising in migration law, employment law, wills and estates, commercial law and agreements
- 2018 Appointed the Australian Director of Shankman Holdings Australia Pty Ltd, the owner of numerous commercial Sydney buildings
Beyond humanitarian issues, Richard has, amongst many other active interests, nurtured a passion for running and photography. He has completed more than 100 marathons, including ultra-marathons, both within Australia and overseas. Among them is the Golden Reef Hundred Miler, (160km ultra marathon) which Richard completed in 1994, in 23 hours and 58 minutes.
Richard shares his love of running with able-bodied and disabled runners as the founder of The Achilles Running Club. The club serves to enable disabled runners to enjoy the benefits of walking and running in a supportive, social environment.
Richard’s passion for photography has taken him on many adventures across the globe. See Redbubble
Richard welcomes an invitation to participate in running, photographing, scuba diving, squash, hiking, motorbike riding, horse riding, and golf.
A LIFE INSPIRED BY MANDELA